Darvish Yu, a member of the San Diego Padres of Major League Baseball established the “Darvish Yu Water Fund” in collaboration with the Japan Water Forum in March 2007 to supply safe water to people who face lack and contamination of water in developing countries. He has contributed to the Fund by donating JPY 100,000 at every one of his winning games during the regular season since then.
The Fund subsidized 14 projects in 11 countries so far.
Outline of the 1５th Darvish Yu Water Fund project
The project will be implemented in the target school where an existing water supply system has been deteriorated and therefore students could not establish hygiene practices and have often suffered from water-related diseases. The project is expected to improve inclusive access to water, sanitation and hygiene services as well as hygiene behaviors of students, teachers and also community members.
Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion in Gyanodaya Secondary School, Nepal
Gyanodaya Secondary School, Gandaki province, Nepal
Created with mapchart.net
January to July 2022
Nepal Water for Health (NEWAH)
Water problems at the target site
- The school, established in 1957, is one of the oldest schools in Bobang village. The school has been suffering from a scarcity of water for a long time, as the existing water point is non-functional.
- The school’s toilets are not in use due to a lack of water.
- Students have to go to a nearby stream or home to get drinking water, which affects their attendance. This tendency to miss classes has hampered their studies.
- There are often cases of water-borne diseases among the students.
- Adopting hand washing behavior is next to impossible without an adequate water supply.
- Construction of one intake facility at a spring
- Construction of one reservoir tank and pipeline
- Installation of 2 tap stands with 5 faucets each.
- Installation of a water connection to school latrines
- Water quality testing
- Training and campaign on WASH for child club members, the School Management Committee, and community members
- Maintenance training for a caretaker
Approx. 840 students and teachers of the school, and local community people
- Increased and inclusive access to improved water, sanitation and hygiene services in Gyanodaya Secondary School
- Decreased cases of water-borne diseases among the students
- Increased attendance of the students
- Improved hygiene behaviors of students, teachers and community members
This project will contribute to progress towards the achievement of SDGs, especially the following goals:
SDG 3 Good Hhealth and well-being
SDG 4 Quality education
SDG 6 Clean water and sanitation
SDG 17 Partnerships for the goals
▼For more information about the Fund and past projects, please visit the following website▼
Japan Water Forum
TEL: +81-(0)3-5645-8040 Fax: +81-(0)3-5645-8041
E-mail: office [at] waterforum.jp ※Please change [at] to @
(Reported by Miyo Tabata, Assistant Manager)